July 29, 2021

COVID-19 Assistance 2021

To assist international students experiencing financial difficulties due to COVID-19, the South Australian government and universities are now offering varied support initiatives.

Here are the current financial support you could be eligible for.

Flinders University

Flinders University has re-introduced the International Student Support Package which provides financial assistance to support students with financial difficulties as a result of COVID-19. You may be eligible to receive a grant of $500. To be eligible for the grant, you must be,

  • A currently enrolled international student at Flinders University,
  • An international student living onshore in Australia, and;
  • Be able to demonstrate some financial difficulty as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Apply here

Applications closing 11:59pm 27 August 2021 Adelaide time. 
Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment

A Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment – South Australia of up to $1,500 is available for eligible people who have been instructed by a health official (SA Health) to self-isolate or self-quarantine at home because:

  • You have coronavirus (COVID-19)
  • You’ve been in close contact with a person who has COVID-19
  • You care for a child, 16 years or under, who has COVID-19 or who’s been in close contact with a person who has COVID-19.
  • You may also be eligible if you’re caring for someone who has COVID-19.

You must also meet all of the following:

  • You’re at least 17 years old and live in South Australia
  • You’re an Australian resident or hold a visa that gives you the right to work in Australia
  • You’re unable to go to work and earn an income
  • You have no appropriate leave entitlements, including pandemic sick leave, personal leave or leave to care for another person.

Apply here

COVID-19 disaster payment

The Government of South Australia is supporting SA residents affected by the past seven days lockdown with $375 for people who have lost between 8 and 20 hours per week, or a full day or usual work (which may be less than 8 hours) and $600 for people who have lost 20+ hours per week.

You are eligible for the payment if you meet all of the following:

  • you’re not getting the Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment, a state or territory pandemic payment or a state small business payment for the same period
  • you’re an Australian resident or hold a visa that gives you the right to work in Australia
  • you’re 17 years or older
  • you’re not getting an income support payment, ABSTUDY Living Allowance, Dad and Partner Pay or Parental Leave Pay
  • you’ve lost income and don’t have any appropriate paid leave entitlements
  • the liquid assets rule for your event.

If you hold a temporary visa (such as Student Visa, Temporary Graduate Visa, Skilled Regional, etc.) you need to call 180 22 66 (Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm, Saturday 9 am to 4 pm, Sunday 9 am to 4 pm)

For information in your language, call 131 202 (Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm).

If have already been granted with a Permanent Visa, you can claim online Here. 

Other Public Universities

If you are currently enrolled in a public University of SA, get in touch with your Student Services team to inquire if an International Student Support Package is now available.