If Australia’s surface is 7,741,220km² and it’s population is only 25,637,110 people (3.2 people/km² ! which is 0.8% of India’s density, or 1.54% of Nepal’s, or 13% of Brazil’s and 1.3% of Vietnam’s) then … Why not considering moving to a Regional Area of Australia where benefits are multiplying every year?
Regional Areas have always been a destination chosen by people that enjoy a more relaxed lifestyle and are looking to stay away from big and more polluted cities. Nonetheless, during the last year we witnessed an increasing flow of international students moving from the main Australian cities to Regional areas.
The reasons? Let’s have a look at the benefits of moving to a Regional Area of Australia.
According to The Australian Government, Department of Home Affairs, the regional definition is comprised of 3 categories classified as
- Category 1 ‘Large cities, NOT regional’
- Category 2 ‘Cities and Major Regional Centres’
- Category 3 ‘Regional Centres and Other Regional Areas’
BENEFIT |1 Incentives for Skilled Migrants
DOH offers regional incentives for skilled migrants who migrate to locations classified as Category 2 or Category 3.
These incentives include 2 skilled regional provisional visas that provide a pathway to permanent residence, a skilled regional permanent resident visa (available from November 2022), additional points under the Skilled Migration Points Test for skilled migrants nominated to live and work in regional Australia
- Category 2 – ‘Cities and Major Regional Centres’ of Perth, Adelaide, the Gold Coast, the Sunshine Coast, Canberra, Newcastle/Lake Macquarie, Wollongong/Illawarra, Geelong and Hobart
- Category 3 – ‘Regional Centres and Other Regional Areas.
BENEFIT |2 Incentives for International Students
In addition to the above incentives to skilled migrants, international students who hold a first Temporary Graduate Visa (485), Post-study stream, and who graduated with a degree from an Australian institution located in a regional area are eligible to apply for a second Temporary Graduate Visa (485) of one to two years length.
BENEFIT |3 Specialty course offerings
Some regional campuses of national Universities, TAFE and colleges offer courses tailored to the economy of the Region. As an example, you can enrol for a Bachelor degree specialized in Tourism, Hospitality and Events Management in the middle of the Barossa Valley in South Australia. Since this is the wine region for excellence in Australia, you will be living an experience like no other in the country and it will open several doors in your future career as a professional.
At the same time, you can find Bricklaying, Environment, Energy and Science courses in Perth, WA. A region that had been historically supported by its labouring and mining industry.
BENEFIT |4 Lifestyle and cost of living
- Generally speaking, smaller communities can be more welcoming and, at the same time, connections can be highly useful when looking for a job. Networking in regional areas is a must if you are a job seeker.
- Free community activities are happening all the time and if you have recently arrived it is a perfect idea to find some friends, practice your English skills and get to know your neighbours.
- If you can not stand any traffic then regional is for you! With major regional centres being highly developed in terms of public transport and mobility, you can easily travel from one side of the metropolitan area to the opposite in less than 60 mins.
- Also, public transport is way more cheaper than larger cities (in Adelaide a 28-day unlimited pass for International Students costs only $51.50, whereas in Sydney you would spend that much weekly).
- Rentals in Regional Areas are also a huge advantage against heavily populated cities. Average rental prices in Adelaide or Perth is $260/week, whereas in Sydney it adds up to $465/week for a one bedroom apartment outside of the city centre.
- Lastly, Skilled workers are in demand in regional areas such as Adelaide or Perth.
If are considering moving to a Regional Area, get in touch with us!
We can help you find the course that best adjusts to your profile and at the same time our team of Experts will be able to advise you in all things settling in a new city.